8.15.2010

.....And I'm back, with a playlist!

Welcome back to me!  I have been recently quite busy with everything else, so no updates here.  However, I have found a free minute (even though it is 11:55 on Saturday night), so, updates!

My new direction on this thing is to throw out playlist ideas, whether or not they are fully formed.  I'm starting today with an easy one - Covers!  The best covers bring something new to a song and, in some cases, overshadow the original.




Here's the playlist, with comments:

1. Creep - Scala.  If you have seen any movies recently, you'll probably recognize this as the song from the new Facebook movie.  Scala's version of Radiohead's classic really highlights the uneasiness of the lyrics - I think it is even more disturbing than the original.

2. Such Great Heights - Iron and Wine. I also love the Postal Service's version, but Sam Beam imbues the song with a sadness that isn't present in the original - he makes it a totally different song.

3. The Sweat Descends - Art in Manila. Les Savy Fav's version has more energy, but this one has more bite.

4. I Will Survive - Cake. I love the low energy flavor that Cake brings to this disco classic. Plus, a killer trumpet solo never hurts.

5. This Land is Your Land - Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings.  This is the credits music from Up in the Air.  I'll confess, I've never consciously listened to the Woody Guthrie version, and Ms. Jones' version pretty much guarantees that I never will.

6. Hurt - Johnny Cash.  Yes, Johnny Cash covered Nine Inch Nails - not the other way around.  In any case, the Man in Black lends an additional gravitas to this song that Trent Reznor's rage couldn't.

7. Since U Been Gone - Ted Leo. An acoustic take on Kelly Clarkson's smash, this one makes the list for diving into Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  Yes, Kelly, we all know you ripped off the bridge from Maps - Ted Leo just makes sure no one is confused.

8. Toxic - Local H. Yes, we're in the pop idol cover section. 

9. You are the Blood - Sufjan Stevens.  I didn't know this was a cover (I'm sorry Castanets), but Sufjan's take on this song is amaaaaaaazing.  Totally worth the 10 minute playing time.

10. Feel Good, Inc. - Rhythms del Mundo.  This one is almost a remix, rather than a cover, but I'll let it slide.  I had no idea that The Gorillaz's hit was missing some Latin flavor, but I was wrong.

11. All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix. Sorry Bob, but Jimi wins. This is the quintessential cover that trumps the original.

12. Turn the Page - Metallica.  This one probably adds the least to the original of any song in the playlist, but c'mon, it's Metallica.

13. Any Major Dude Will Tell You - Wilco. Original by Steely Dan.

14. Thirteen - Elliott Smith.  This one is almost a carbon copy of Big Star's* version, but c'mon, it's Elliott Smith.

15. Mr. Grieves - TV on the Radio.  I already sang this one's praises in my entry on Young Liars in the First Decennial Viskterisk* 100 Favorite Albums of Years Starting with 200.  It is hasn't lost any awesomeness since then.

16. The Mercy Seat - Johnny Cash.  As good as Mr. Cash is when he writes his own songs, I think I like his covers even better.  He keeps the anger of Nick Cave's original, but also tinges it with resignation.  Beautiful.

*I read that Katy Perry's hit California Gurls was spelled with a U as a tribute to September Gurls by Big Star.  Alex Chilton had just passed and one of the producers suggested the spelling change, and Katy agreed.  I wish I could say this makes me think more highly of Katy Perry, but in her comment about it, all she could say was "one of the members had just passed", and she did it as a favor to her producer - plus "the kids like those variations".  Wow.

6 comments:

  1. yes! one of my favorite playlist topics ever!

    totally agree with the thirteen and mr grieves nods.

    a few of my faves:

    jose gonzalez' cover of the knife's heartbeats. another one of those that piss me off because everyone thinks is the original.

    nirvana's man who sold the world. come on dude! one of the best covers ever!

    bowie's version of the pixies' cactus

    pretty much everyone's version of love will tear us apart. susanna and the magical orchestra, swans and worm is green are my favorites.

    matt pond pa's version of neutral milk hotel's in the aeroplane over the sea.

    still love both cat power's AND ryan adams' versions of wonderwall.

    john cale's version of leonard cohen's hallelujah. yes the obsession with coverint that song is annoying, but cale kept the lyrics of the original that most people "omit". i like jeff buckley's too

    i've always liked tori amos's take on smells like teen spirit.

    pretty much the entire covers disc of the late great daniel johnston is great. especially tv on the radio's cow and bright eyes' devil town


    though i guess they're not technically "covers", i have to vote for m.i.a.'s paper planes and born free as well as kanye's harder better faster stronger

    i can't really think of any more at the moment but you just gave me 2 hours worth of stuff to do in itunes. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah! i also love all of deftones' covers. no ordinary love, please please please let me get what i want, savory and the chauffeur ARE ALL great

    she & him's version of please please please let me get what i want is great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how could i forget seu jorge's amazing bowie collection for the life aquatic!!!@!@ the best was life on mars. space oddity and rebel rebel also rule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and finally.... frank black's version of the beach boys' hang on to your ego is amazing in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, ok i swear this will be my last comment.

    i just remembered my favorite cover song of all time. this one is sketchy since the original song is an old folksong... but i have to include it.

    nick cave & the bad seeds' version of stagger lee is so so so amazing i can't even describe it. one of the best covers of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, I had to keep the playlist under 6 hours! I have no excuse for leaving off The Man Who Sold the World (seriously - five stars in iTunes, but totally spaced on the playlist), but I've missed a bunch of these other ones - I also have some work to do in iTunes.

    ReplyDelete